Monday, March 16, 2009

Getting (Back) Into The Sci-Fi Vibe

I've started writing the music for my sci-fi album project. Three entire songs have I started working on, and things are starting to sound quite good. Naturally, there will be sound examples when I have something to show for (actually I've almost completed on composition, but I haven't bothered uploading it).

Right now I'm getting into some more sci-fi sounds, music and vibes by listening to anything in the genre. My listening list so far? - Vangelis' Blade Runner score, music from The X-Files, various Star Trek scores, the soundtrack from Dune, 2001: A Space Odyessey, Gustav Holst's The Planets... - if you have some sci-fi related music to recommend, please pass me a note!

Reading some also helps... Anything Stephen Baxter has been real good, but now I'm reading an Arthur C. Clarke / Stephen Baxter book, Time's Eye, which is a good book even though it doesn't dwell very deeply into futuristic high-tech and mind boggling space aliens and lifeforms never before imagined.

Maybe I should be focusing on completing my other two album projects, the first being nearly done and the second being half finished, but the sci-fi thing really got me into writing music in another way. Some of the atonal parts I'm doing really bring up a vibe of that empty, yet interesting space.  

No comments:

Post a Comment